On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 06:44:36AM -0500, Edward Lopez-Acosta wrote:
> Could you please explain the logic behind this as I am confused. Is this due
> to an inefficient process, technical limitation, or other reason (lack of
> manpower doesn't qualify as that seems self inflicted by the project)? Are
> you somehow tracking submissions to take care of when this unlocked so
> people don't waste their time needing to resubmit them?
>
> While they may exist I know of no other project, including OS, that halt
> development like this for long, if at all, to do a release. Again, they may
> exist I just don't know of any and find the process awkward and confusing.

NetBSD freezes its pkgsrc tree before each of their quarterly releases.
FreeBSD used to have the same practice for their ports.

Debian Linux enters a period of freeze before a release.  As does
Ubuntu.  Fedora has three stages of "milestone freezing".

This is not an uncommon thing.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_(software_engineering)

Cheers,

--
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),