On Wed, Apr 10 2019, Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Jeremie Courreges-Anglas:
>
>> samba-4.8.11 has just been released:
>>   https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.8.11.html
>
> BTW, whatever happened to cherry-picking the relevant security fix
> and only committing this before release (or in -stable), instead
> of whole updates?

I'm not doing that in net/samba land and I'm not interested.  It looks
like needless pain and an extra step for me to introduce bugs.

Upstream has a very clear developement process:

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning#General_information

I do the usual tarball diff + check_sym output + public headers diff
dance for each new release so I know their process is consistent wrt
ABI concerns.  When I was working for a former employer, I've relied on
them publishing no regression on stable releases for years*.

The approach I'm using isn't a problem in my experience. I'd rather
find extra time to fix issues like the crash in the AD DC server, or the
ld.so slowness.

* with only one known performance regression in the Bind DLZ DNS backend
--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE