Den ons 10 juli 2019 kl 03:54 skrev Kaashif Hymabaccus <
kaas...@kaashif.co.uk>:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 12:12:49PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > But done on a port-by-port opt-in basis for more important ports
> > (major libraries, for example) it might be viable. I think it would
> > need to use detached symbols in a subpackage - build with symbols,
> > then postprocess the various files, it looks like this might do the
> > trick
> >
> > And then it needs additional infrastructure to handle putting these
> > into subpackages (which gets complicated where a port already uses
> > subpackages).
>
> As I understand it, this is essentially what Debian does. See

https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace#Installing_the_debugging_symbols.

I checked one of the ceph repos which does keep debug symbols as separate
packages and if you check the first 10-20 debs,
http://eu.ceph.com/debian-nautilus/pool/main/c/ceph/
you see a 20x size difference on the debug pkgs.

For the rpm-ish dists, all debug is in one simple package, weighing in at
whopping 1.9G
http://eu.ceph.com/rpm-nautilus/el7/x86_64/  (the ceph-debuginfo rpm)
whereas the other rpms are a few megs up to 34 perhaps.

Looking at snapshots package sizes for a few popular arches on obsd,

$ du -sh amd64/ i386/ sparc64 aarch64/

42.4G   amd64/
39.5G   i386/
23.7G   sparc64
20.0G   aarch64/

we'd see quite an interesting result from upping that with a factor of 20x,
in terms of disk space (which may or may not be a showstopper for some
mirrors) but also time to sync a new snap and the network used in order
to do it.

It would be very user-visible getting daily snaps of packages slower
than you do today, will everyone want to pay that price to one person
doesn't
have to "go gentoo on his ass" in order to contribute?

You don't get to be in the group that goes "why aren't release/snap packages
ready when I want them" at the same time as the group that suggests
"lets push 20x more data onto mirrors and sign-infra-boxes"