On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 02:57:38PM -0700, Peter Ezetta wrote:
> Hi ports@,

Thanks for your submission.

Some notes below.

> Attached is my initial work on a port of Zola, a Rust Static Site
> Generator. I have been working with upstream on getting the DESCR fleshed
> out a bit more, and have send all patches back upstream as well.
>
> There is currently no manpage formatted documentation available. Should I
> write up a basic manpage for the Zola application and it's command-line
> flags, or perhaps just reference the online documentation in the DESCR?

if upstream doesn't provide man page, you don't have to write one. But
yes, you could add link to online documentation in DESCR.

> I have taken maintainer on this port as I have been working with upstream,
> I am an active user of the project, and I am happy to handle updates and
> support requests for the port.
>
> Patches take care of warnings from unused mutability,

if it is only warnings, it would be preferable to not patch them to
avoid maintenance on long term. but you are free to report them to
upstream :)

but feel free to keep them if you prefer.

> as well as fix a
> dependency's hard-coded compiler so that it can be built with clang instead
> of gcc for C++11 support.

several remarks here.

first, you shouldn't hardcode the compiler. if possible, port should
honor CC and CXX variables.

next, you should add a COMPILER line because of C++11.
        COMPILER = base-clang ports-gcc

it will make the port able to compile on architectures where clang++ isn't
the default compiler.

and finally, in libsaas-sys crate case, is it possible to configure it
to use www/libsass port, instead of building the library behind the
scene ? you could look at build.rs in libsaas-sys.

> Comments? Anything else I should look at while I wait for upstream to get
> back to me on a better blurb for DESCR?

and finally, could you set libc to 0.2.63 version, and add it to
MODCARGO_CRATES_UPDATE ? it will permit to build on sparc64.

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie