On Sat Sep 28, 2019 at 01:23:06PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for the rather late reply.  I've been mulling over this for a few
> days.
>
> On Sat, Sep 21 2019, Rafael Sadowski <raf...@sizeofvoid.org> wrote:
> > Long time ago I was trying to import the clang extra tool sets without
> > luck. It failed because the -extra subpackage has an effect on -main.
> > More precisely, the cmake parts from the main package.
>
> Debian (as usual) seems to have split llvm in many subpackages.  Surely
> they must have hit and solved a similar problem.
>
> > For this reason, I think it is best to build/install the extra tools in
> > the main package. I'd be in charge here, too.
> >
> > I also was trying to crate an extra packages, which includes only the
> > extra parts but this rise more issue in the eco system.
>
> So which problems did you hit?
>
> > I have to deal with this topic because more and more people come up to
> > me and ask about my last try, last otto@.
>
> > That's good because I think these tools are helpful.
>
> I can understand that, but my stance is simple: my main interest for
> devel/llvm is the ports tree.
>
> I'm not happy with longer devel/llvm *build* times but hey, if that's
> the only solution available (is it?), fine, let's build those under
> devel/llvm.
>
> The size increase of the -main package is a killer IMO: 605MB -> 867MB
> on amd64.  sparc64 goes from 714MB to 1.2GB.  Most of this size
> increase comes from the additional executables, so removing the
> additional .a libs (if possible) does not help.
>
> So as far as I'm concerned I don't like this approach, especially with
> 6.6 on the radar.
>
> --
> jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Hi Jeremie, hey ports@,

I understand your objection and I have dealt more intensively with the
install step in the llvm packege and ninja. I think I found THE
SOLUTION.  I have figured out how to install ONLY the extra tools.
Besides, we don't have to build the whole LLVM stack.

Please find attached devel/clang-tools-extra as tarball. This version
was successfully tested by otto@.

I'd take care of the extra tools and keep the port in sync with
devel/llvm.

OK, concerns? Thanks, RS