Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 12:30:37AM -0500, George Koehler wrote:
> > Update to poppler-0.83.0.
> >
> > Tests (at least build tests) on non-base-clang archs are welcome.
>
> I built your 0.83.0 with ports-gcc on powerpc (macppc).  The good news
> is that the build completed, so I can still build other ports that
> depend on poppler.
>
> I looked for a port that would use poppler to view a PDF file.  I found
> and built x11/lumina and tried lumina-pdf.  A PDF of 89 pages causes
> lumina-pdf to run out of memory and crash.  A PDF of 7 pages almost
> works, but colors are wrong.  White is still white, but some black text
> becomes blue, and other colors are worse.  These symptoms might not be
> new; I didn't try viewing a PDF with poppler before 0.83.0, and I don't
> know whether the color problem is in lumina or in poppler.  The macppc
> is big-endian, but some code might assume little-endian color.

First of all, thanks for the testing.

It would be nice if anyone else with macppc could do some similar
tests with poppler-0.82.0, so we can see wether this is a regression
or not.

I had a quick look on the diffs between poppler-0.82.0 and poppler.0.83.0,
and I didn't see anything obvious which could have introduced bugs
wrt endianess or colour handling in poppler; there are some changes
like from

        if (foo.isNum())
                bar = foo.getNum()

        bar = foo.getNumWithDefaultValue(some_default)

in the color area, but they don't look as if they wouldn't have
also introduced problems on other architectures.

And for the memory consumption: not sure what could have caused
this *if* this is a regression  in poppler-0.83.0.

Ciao,
        Kili