kn@ is working on moving python2 ports to python3 and asked me why we
have an outdated version of mercurial. He wasn't the only dev asking
recently.

A few years ago I decided to remove mercurial third party extensions
because nobody was maintaining them, were broken for a year (or maybe
even more) and nobody had complained. I kept tortoisehg because at that
time upstream was releasing regularly new versions in sync with
mercurial versions.

Since a few mercurial releases ago, they're not releasing new versions.
Tortoise uses the internal API of mercurial, so I can't update mercurial
without updating also tortoisehg. We're stuck now on the version 5.0 and
the mercurial devs are going to release 5.4 the next month.

What are we going to lose if we keep the mercurial port stuck on 5.0?.
Close to 100% python3 support, a new official extension to work with git
servers and more rust code (which I'll not enable by default but I would
like to test). Also, the mercurial developers are a very small team and
don't release backports for security issues, so the more outdated our
mercurial version is, the harder is to backport the patches for me.

So, I would like to remove tortoisehg and update mercurial to the latest
version. The plan B would be to create a new port with the outdated
version of mercurial and update the canonical port to the latest
version. The problem of that idea is that maybe eventually we will
delete python2 and tortoise will be lost anyway.

The only thing which users are going to lose is the graphical DAG /
commits history. The package mercurial-x11 includes an extension which
shows the same graphical output and you can always use "hg serve" to see
the DAG / history in your browser.

I would like to remove the port before of 6.7. Any objection?. Is anyone
yelling at me?. I can't hear you.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info