Hi all,

What is your approach for a need of official GENERIC(.MP) kernel however
customized to your need via `config -e -o /bsd /bsd` for example needed
when you have USB based printer.

Package readme from cups warns that ulpt(4) needing to be disabled in
the kernel and that is actually the case for me. When I use unmodified
GENERIC.MP my `Canon MG3200 series` printer:

$ dmesg | grep ulpt0
ulpt0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 1 "Canon MG3200 series" rev
2.00/1.04 addr 2
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

is not detected by CUPS, or I don't know how to make it detect.
However when I disable ulpt(4) via config(8) then cups can detect the
printer and I configured via CUPS' web UI (additionally installing
gutenprint-5.3.3 package) and all works. I can print.

ugen0 at uhub0 port 1 "Canon MG3200 series" rev 2.00/1.04 addr 3

However I run current and I upgrade my system once in a while, so I was
wondering what would be the common practice to handle this in a smooth,
semi-automated way, without a need to go by hand and re-disable ulpt,
regenerate `kernel.SHA256` to make `reorder_kernel` happy each reboot or
each system upgrade.

I don't know how popular are printers leveraging ulpt(4). So my
questions for this post would be:

- Does any of you have a working printer using ulpt(4) driver under
  OpenBSD?

- How do you handle kernel modifications via config(8) with kernel
  relinking in a more automated way?

Please carbon-copy me in any replies. Thank you.

For the record, I'm currently using:

OpenBSD 6.6-current (GENERIC.MP) #60: Mon Mar 16 22:03:03 MDT 2020
    dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

# pkg_info -qI cups gutenprint
cups-2.3.1p1
gutenprint-5.3.3