On Tue 02/06/2020 12:54, Lucas wrote:
> Hello ports@,
>
> Find an update for herbstluftwm, jointly done with Florian (in CC).
> We'll take maintainership of the port while at it.
>
> Too many fixes and improvements to list. Find them in [0].
>
> Portwise:
> - Upstream changed build system to CMake. That allows us to get rid of
>   FAKE_FLAGS.
> - Dist tarball includes compiled manpages. Use them instead of building
>   ourselves, saving a depend on asciidoc.
> - We no longer install the HTML versions of manpages. We aren't sure if
>   this is the prefered way, given there are the manpages already, so let
>   us know if we should re-add them.

IMHO addition of the HTML version has little to no value. I agree with
your choice.

> - Makefile aesthetics: reorder according to Makefile.template and align
>   values. That's a lot whitespace churn.
> - Fixes for portcheck and make port-lib-depends-check. glib-2.0 and
>   intl are out of WANTLIB and glib-2.0 is not a dep.
> - hlwm now ships tests! Sadly, they rely on pyewmh[1] and
>   pytest-xfvb[2]. Porting pyewmh was a piece of cake; didn't manage to
>   make pytest-xfvb run its own tests, as it seems it isn't running a new
>   Xvfb as a subprocess while executing internal pytest tests. Also I'm
>   not sure if importing 2 ports for being able to run tests is
>   desirable. So, for the time being, keep NO_TEST=Yes.
> - We aren't sure if we should add x11/dmenu to RUN_DEPENDS. One of the
>   4 scripts it installs to /etc/xdg/herbstluftwm needs it, but that
>   script isn't referenced by the others, unlike the case x11/dzen2.
>   Advice is welcome in here, too.

After installation of this update I only see 3 scripts in
/etc/xdg/herbstluftwm. None of them use dmenu. As such, I see no reason
to add x11/dmenu as RDEP.

$ ls -l /etc/xdg/herbstluftwm/
total 40
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5365 Jun  6 11:44 autostart
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6210 Jun  6 11:44 panel.sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   379 Jun  6 11:44 restartpanels.sh

> - PLIST changes:
>   - HTML manuals are gone (as said, can be added back)
>   - share/examples/herbstluftwm/ -> share/doc/herbstluftwm/examples/,
>     which is what upstream ships as docs
>   - share/examples/herbstluftwm/xdg/herbstluftwm/ ->
>     share/examples/herbstluftwm/
>   - dmenu_run_hlwm was being installed to bin/; now resides in
>     share/examples/herbstluftwm/

Odd, I would expect that having dmenu_run_hlwm in /usr/local/bin/ is a
good reason for adding dmenu as RDEP. Guess this is not relevant as you
propose to move this script. However, I have a question: is moving this
script going to break existing installations?

Other question: why is dmenu_run_hlwm moved in the post-install phase?