On 2020/06/07 16:18, f.holop wrote:
> Stuart Henderson - Fri, 05 June 2020 at 00:03:04
> > Adding it would add more code to something that is quite a common
> > dependency. Maybe it's useful enough to be worth it (being from a
> > country with mostly 7-bit charset I don't get much of a vote in this ;)
> > but along with the upside of support IDNs, there is a downside to
> > pulling in (historically a bit buggy) code to all ports using the
> > library.
>
> I agree, it is marginally useful...  Is that margin worth it?
>
> In my case i needed this to troubleshoot quickly an RSS feed on such a
> domain.
>
> It would be nice to have a curl and curl-idn package without me having
> to hand roll one. But then where is the limit for a "swiss army knife"
> tool?  Some linux distro packages come with everything curl can support
> compiled in down to gopher...

It could be possible to do a static-linked build of the curl binary in
a different port, that would avoid the problems with other ports depending
on the library.

It is possible to use curl like this, though:

$ curl -I https://`idn2 рнидс.срб`/

It's not quite as easy as internal support but doesn't seem too bad.