On 2020/06/14 09:40, Andrea Fleckenstein wrote:
> Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> writes:
>
> > The port was stuck due to not having qtwebengine which is needed
> > for newer versions.
> >
> > There is a big enough change in build layout for the newer version
> > that the current port isn't a good basis, so OK sthen@ to remove it.
>
> I'm keen to start work on the update. Anyone else been working on it?
> Will the old port really be no use at all that I should just start from
> scratch?

I had a look at it a few times in the past, before we had qtwebengine (trying
to switch it back to qtwebkit) but didn't get anywhere with that approach.
Compared to the existing port, the files are in a different location,
the dependencies are different with the move to qt5, and the file layout
is different enough that the install target wasn't usable. There's not
much else left to the existing port.

I wasn't really interested enough in it to pick it up again. And, like
Calibre, upstream's advice to users to avoid OS packages isn't really
encouraging. If you or someone else want to pick it up, thr first thing
it will need is pyqtwebengine to be ported. Then I would suggest looking
for the last Anki version before they added the Rust bits so there is
less to deal with all at once.