First, thank you Timo, Ken and Matthieu for the feedback so far.

On Sun, Jul 05 2020, Kenneth R Westerback <kwesterb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 03:15:05PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 04 2020, Timo Myyr?? <timo.my...@bittivirhe.fi> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Is there any particular reason why json is disabled in configure?
>>
>> Nope, I just forgot to mention that I had disabled it for no particular
>> reason.  Let's blame it on Miod's gentiane.
>>
>> > It provides massive speed up for emacs-lsp mode so at least I'd like to
>> > see it
>> > included.
>>
>> Oh, I had not looked at lsp-mode.  Fine with me if people find fast json
>> support useful.
>>
>> And since Ken asked for it, here are some fresh (unsigned) amd64 packages:
>>
>>   https://russell.wxcvbn.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/emacs-pretest/
>
> Took a bit to remember how to configure PKG_PATH so pkg_add -u would
> work with local emacs package and remote supporting packages. But
> success!

Hah.  Here's the magic:

  env
TRUSTED_PKG_PATH=https://russell.wxcvbn.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/emacs-pretest/
 pkg_add -d emacs

-d to install the debug symbols, in case you experience a crash.

> Now running the package and already noticed a BIG
> improvement. 'emacsclient -a "" -c' now seems to actually work when I
> try to reply to emails like this from neomutt. Previously I had to
> manually ensure emacs --daemon was already running.
>
> It did claim that package 'cl' is deprecated. Now I have to go look
> that up. :-)

Hmm like Matthieu you probably have an extension which uses cl.  FWIW
the release notes say:

** The 'cl' package is now officially deprecated in favor of 'cl-lib'.

Still, I would expect this library to still work like it did previously,
so people should have time to handle this deprecation.  Did you see
runtime differences?

>> And since someone else asked, *this is a preview only*, I'm not going
>> to commit an update to a pretest release unless you folks significantly
>> bribe me. ;)
>
> <disclaimer>Following request for information does not in any way
> represent the OpenBSD Foundation or imply access to that organization's
> vast resources!</disclaimer>
>
> Define "significant". :-)

Maybe just a pint of beer or cider at the next hackathon? :)

More seriously, if the emacsclient changes help you, and if people from
base would like to get rid of some hacks we keep for emacs unexec,
I could consider an update to this pretest release reasonable.  But there's
really some mess going on with how diffs are hilighted in my setup, though.

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE