On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 07:35:47PM +0200, Luca De Pandis wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm Luca De Pandis and I'm an OpenBSD user since March.
>
> I'd like to contribute to the project since I'm using it everyday, so I
> decided to work on porting the VAAPI stack on OpenBSD.
>
> Before submitting I checked with portcheck and make
> ports-lib-depends-check for errors or things I could improve to make the
> ports as compliant as possible. Still, as they are my first attempt to
> port something I'd like to receive your feedbacks about them.
>
> Since I need for VAAPI to get hw acceleration on mpv I wouldn't mind to
> step up as a maintainer for these ports.
>
> Also, I wrote some patches, but I'm not as proficient in C as I would. So
> I'm counting on your feedbacks if there are some things I could do
> better in that regard as well.
>

> Best regards,
> Luca De Pandis

Hi Luca,

This has come up before last year [0], and the conclusion was that this
needed to be a part of xenocara [1] as Mesa needs to be compiled with
'--enable-va' to have working r600/radeonsi gallium drivers [2].

The original work was done by Brad DeMorrow and Jonathan Gray had
picked it up after that, not sure what the status is now. I had it
working on my Radeon HD 7450 along with a modified ffmpeg port with
Brad's original ports and recompiled Mesa.

Having support for video encode/decode offloading would be nice,
especially on lower power CPUs.

-Bryan.

[0] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=157626463822587&w=2
[1] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=157676527322944&w=2