>>>found a live track of Steve Earle doing "Have Mercy" in 1990 or 91 at
the
Bottom Line... while searching for extras to fill out a tape of I Feel
Alright.I couldn't believe my luck -- fit the theme and all. It's from a
TDK/CMJ new
music report disc, show No. 43.

While I don't have that disc in front of me, I'm pretty sure that's a
recording from the Lone Star Roadhouse, not the Bottom Line. I was working
for CMJ then and set that up. I have two whole sets on tape of Steve solo
accoustic from the sound board. Listened to it the other day and still
sends chills up my spine. The other memorable thing about that night was
hanging with all the record company weasels and running up a $1000 tab on
tequila!
Jim, smilin'