THE UGLY SIDE OF SUCCESS
      FORBERT TOLERATES THE LABEL LUNACY
      By ED CONDRAN

    * 01/22/99
      The Record, Northern New Jersey

      (Copyright 1999)

          The business side of the music industry has never been one of
     Steve Forbert's favorite subjects. However, it's something he's had
     to think about as the property of a few labels over the years.
        Forbert was the golden boy of 1978 when he released the
     critically acclaimed disc "Alive on Arrival." But after splitting
     from Columbia in the early Eighties _ a six-year feud with the label
     kept him out of record stores _ Forbert has recorded forGeffen,
     Giant, and Paladin records. The latter recently folded, and Forbert
     is once again looking for a deal.
          "It isn't easy going through this," Forbert said during a
     telephone interview from his Nashville home. "It would be nice to
     have a career like Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen and be with one
     label throughout your entire career. That would be ideal. Going
     from one company to another takes so much out of you.
          "I don't like to worry about the ugly side of music. I try to
     put that toward the back of my mind. I would rather only concentrate
     on what's really important, which is the music. But you do what you
     can even if that means putting out the records yourself."
         That's exactly what Forbert has sometimes done. In 1994, the
     veteran singer-songwriter released "Be Here Again."  He followed up
     that disc with "Be Here Now." Like its predecessor, "Be Here Again,"
     is a limited-edition disc available only at Forbert's shows.
          "It's just a release meant for the die-hard fans," Forbert said.
     "It's for those who are unbelievably devoted to my work."
          Forbert, 43, will be performing new tunes as well as a number of
     his classic tracks Saturday at the Bottom Line in Manhattan.
          "I've been writing a bunch of songs," Forbert said. "The songs

   * are personal, folk-rock stuff. I'm working toward making a new
     record. I'm sure fans are going to want to hear some new songs, and
     I'm anxious to hear what their reaction is.
          "I'm also going to be doing plenty of older material. I always
     loved doing songs from as far back as `Alive on Arrival.' My life has
     changed a lot. I've grown older and I have kids, but those songs are
     still relevant to me and my fans."
          After his concert jaunt is finished, Forbert is going to start
     looking at labels that might be interested in releasing his next
     disc.
          "I hope this works out, but it's never easy. Hopefully I'll end
     up on a label that is pretty understanding. Some label that not only
     wants to have my songs on the radio, but understands that preaching
     to the converted is all right.
          "Sure I would like to expand my fan base, but I'm indebted to
     those people who have supported me through the years. They hire
     their baby sitters, pay for parking, and buy tickets. I'm a
     troubadour, and they understand that. They understand me better than
     any record company executive."