Hill said

>Words & Music - it's superb.  His best solo effort yet, imo
>Punched up guitar, reggae/blues influences allowed to
>shine, and the best darn Xmas song I've heard in many
>years ("How to Make Gravy").   My favorite song rotates,
>depending on mood: the above tune, "I'd Rather Go Blind",
>"Glory Be to God" (a lustful ode to his wife), "Gutless
>Wonder", "Tease Me"...  Well worth the money.

I second just about all of that. It's a fine, fine album and
his best for two or three now IMHO. I'd add "Little Kings",
and "Charlie Owen's Slide Guitar" to those nominated above
- and emphatically endorse "Glory Be To God" (not what you'd
expect from the title) and "Gravy".

I have my doubts about "She Answers The Sun" and "Melting" -
and do I miss the PK of old whose songs were more often than not
wonderful stories. I have a nagging worry that the title is
a little too literal - that too often these pieces are words
and music (and I miss the story telling). But hell a boy's
got to move on - and on its own merits this is still well
worth anyone's money.

I wouldn't mind another cricket song some time soon though...

MICHAEL (in NZ)

np: Aimee Mann - "I'm With Stupid" (and wondering why it doesn't
grab me as much as her first).

(and now reading - and loving, for whatever it's worth - "Blue
Highways" by William Least Heat Moon)