Carl Abraham Zimring writes:

>Possibly, though I'm pretty sure all the guitar, bass, keyboards and
>singing on the Rutles records was done by Neil Innes.  He may also
>have played the drums.

     I don't think so.  Innes has said in interviews that the Rutles
rehearsed the music from the movie as a group before they went into the
studio to record and that, in fact, he has tapes from the '77/'78
rehearsals that he's considered releasing at some point.  Who did exactly
what on the records is harder to pin down, admittedly.  Innes can
certainly play lead guitar and the clips of Fataar in the movie (as well
as reports of the Rutles' few live performances) suggest that Fataar is
capable in that regard, too.  He's clearly not faking his parts if you
look at the film.  It's also known that Ollie Halsall (pictured as
"Leppo," the fifth Rutle, in the Hamburg photo) did some portion of the
lead guitar work on the first record, as well as the Dirk McQuickly
vocals.  Halsall died before much of "Archaeology" was completed, which
is why there aren't any McQuickly vocals on the album.  It's possible
that some of the songs on the two albums are mostly or entirely Innes,
but I don't think that it's a large portion of either record, personally.
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                   Wollaston, Massachusetts