>   The correct order of country singles hitmakers since 1944 (straight from
> both the new and previous editions of Record Research Inc. Billboard Chart
> Books) is
>
>  #4. Conway Twitty
>  #3  Johnny Cash
>  #2  George Jones

Well, see, that's what staying alive will do for you; my source was the 1996
edition of the Billboard Country Top 40 book.  If Cash outlives Jones,
there's no telling what might happen.

>  #1, of course, is that paragon of "real country", Eddy Arnold

I'd be interested to know what definition of real country would allow quote
marks to be placed around the term when applied to The Tennessee Plowboy.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/