>The original version of Knoxville's biggest college rock band to date first
>played on The Strip in 1990 and later went through several personnel changes
>during its four releases on Sire Records.
>
>The current Judybats lineup contains only one original 'Bat-- frontman Jeff
>Heiskell.
>

>Shane Rhyne
>Knoxville, TN
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's a name I haven't heard in a while.  I really enjoyed the Judybats
first couple of records, Native Son and Down in the Shacks where the
Satellite Dishes Grow, back in the day. Not terribly twangy, but some
quirky pop tunes in sort of an 80s college radio sort of way, with some
very tasty lead guitar work. As the title of the second album suggests, the
lyrical content was pretty sarcastic, and even camp at times.  Sort of a
redneck version of the Smiths, I always thought.  Had no idea they were
such a phenomenon in Knoxville.   Anyway, while the records don't do a lot
for me any more, you gotta be impressed by someone who can get words like
"cantilevering" and "convelescing" into a song and actually make it work.

Be interested to hear the Nevers take it in a twangier direction...