I also am a fan of Jim Lauderdale.  I have seen him live many times when he
has come through Austin: at one of the first SXSW ('88? with Pete Anderson
in the crowd, they recorded an album for Epic or Columbia that never saw the
light of day other than a couple of singles) and last year's SXSW too,
opening for Nick Lowe and  Freedy Johnston and at the Continental Club
playing a full set, once at a Tower instore when the bass player didn't
show.  He has always put on a good show and has quite a sense of humor.  His
cds don't always live up to his songs or his live show.  He tried to work
the rock side of things with a couple of those cds and tours so that may
explain why some people didn't like them.  No Depression ran that review a
couple of years ago where Peter and Grant agreed that neither of them liked
Lauderdale. I sent Peter a tape of some of Jim's more country stuff and some
of the many covers of his songs.  I don't think I changed his mind but I
recall he was amazed at all the songs Jim has had a hand in through the years.

So what's my point?  He has written alot of great songs scattered on his cds
and covered on others.  I smell a compilation tape that might open some
eyes.  But then it might not.

Jerald