Sorry. I like puns. Even (or especially) bad ones. (One more reason I'll probably lurk a lot..)

I'm writing about the PBS specials, natch.

The series-opener focused on the North (and to me less interesting) end of the river. It was pretty good...and I expected each episode to get better as the show moves South. Last night confirmed that for me.

But I'm struck by the whole concept...the River. Is it relevant or coincidental?

>>At first I wasn't sure if it was actually the Bottle Rockets. ...Brian Henneman talked about the importance of the river on their lives and their music.  <<

I give the show's writers and producers credit for not overplaying the whole River thing. Until Henneman's comments, I'd come to the conclusion that the River is not especially inspirational or even necessary to the creation or the location of the music featured thus far in this series, St. Louis riverboat ride notwithstanding. It occurred to me that the Minneapolis rock and Indian music and the polka and the Swedish folk music of episode one could all have been found, in better and worse incarnations, elsewhere in the heartland, hundreds of miles from the Mississippi. Same could be said for the St. Louis gospel and R&B.

Come to think of it, even *after* Henneman's comments, I'm not sure the Mississippi is all that central (figuratively, not literally) to the music featured.

*Not that there's anything wrong with that.*

Sure, the Mississippi River (and most especially its Delta) richly imbues the lives and culture that rise up around it.

But if, as it seems to me, it happens to be a convenient framework for highlighting some great roots music, then fine. If you think there's more to it than that, enlighten me.

Tasq