Lance wrote:
>Well, I've heard the Kinks, the Beach Boys, and the ubiquitous Beatles referred
>to, but does anyone else think of the Flaming Lips when they listen to this new
>album? Or maybe Neutral Milk Hotel? I'm not necessarily suggesting an influence
>here, but in their space-age orchestration and dense layering of sounds...

     Sure, but 'soon as you start talking about orchedelia bands like the
     Lips and especially NMH you're talking about the sixties-production,
     and especially Beach Boys, -influenced stream of 90s indie. I haven't
     heard the new Wilco (though the things I've read and the hopes that JT
     has learned something from the Mermaid Ave. experience make me more
     interested in it than I was in Being There), but I think there's
     something Brian in the water the past couple of years. Pre-millennial
     van dyke sparks. And Tweedy is nothing if not a well-tuned antenna for
     available pop options. (poptions?)

     carl w.