I pulled out a few CDs containing different versions of Panhandle Rag in
order to embed that song in my brain, and the disc I've kept on listening
to several times in the past week is a Hank Thompson disc called "Sounds of
the Brazos Valley: Unissued Radio Broadcasts c1952".  I like this better
than the smoother material on the Golden Nugget and Vintage Collection
discs.  There are a lot of great songs on here (32 songs in all), including
a version of "Always Late" that has some strange harmonies with a kind of
ghostly slide down the scale, and that chug-chug rhythm I like.
Details are: Country Routes, RFD CD 19, c.1997, made in England.