>Hell, if you are going to talk about the Beach Boys I can ask another
>dumb question...also on CNN (guess what I watch while eating lunch) one
>of the news lines at the bottom said that Michael Nesmith of the Monkeys
>had been awarded 47Million (well it may have been thousand, the eyes are
>going) from PBS for fraud?
>What did they do to the guy? Sarah W.

He won?  GOOD for Admiral Mike, I say!

Michael Nesmith owned & operated Pacific Arts, a highly successful & innovative TV (he basically invented MTV, for good or bad), movie (produced "Repo Man" and "Tapeheads" among others), music (his own music, as well as the Hellecasters, on Rio Records) and video conglomerate.  One of the many things he did was licence & distribute videos from many different companies, such as Broadway Video (Lorne Michaels' company; one of the vid's PA distributed was "All You Need Is Cash," the Rutles "documentary").

He entered into a deal with PBS to distribute Ken Burns' "Baseball" series that aired on PBS a few years ago.  I don't know all of the details, but they screwed him over on the deal, & after sinking a LOT of capital into the venture he had to go after PBS, which tied up their money.  He was then unable to pay the repo houses that duplicated all the videos for him, which caused them to sue his company for non-payment, etc.  Result, Pacific Arts/Rio went under.  Glad to hear he prevailed, & hope to see him back up & running again.

During all this, he recorded and produced the Monkees reunion CD, "Justus," as well as writing & directing the brillliant reunion TV special on ABC a couple years ago, & did a European tour with them to vast acclaim before that little squirt Davy fucked things up...AGAIN.  Latest news I hear is Davy has decided to sue Rhino Records for non-payment of royalties or something, & they've frozen royalty payments for the rest of the group as well while litigation works it way out.  Whatta schmuck.

Incidentally, Mike has written his first novel, "The Long Sandy Hair of Neftoon Zamora, which was released by St. Martin's Press in December.  He just did a book signing at Barnes & Noble here in NYC on Jan 29th...woo-hoo!!

Buddy
Nez Rockets
                     Buddy Woodward  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       THE GHOST ROCKETS - "Maximum Rhythm & Bluegrass"
                 http://www.hudsonet.com/~undertow/ghostrockets