>THERE'S MONEY IN OLD CDS
>MARKET FOR USED COMPACT DISCS IS INCREASING IN POPULARITY
>BY STEVEN SANDOR, EDMONTON SUN FREELANCE
>01/11/99  The Edmonton Sun
>With large chains like HMV and A & B Sound hogging the best-seller
>retail market, independent record store owners are finding that used
>CDs are more and more important to the health of their businesses.
>RECORDING INDUSTRY OPPOSES RECYCLED CDS
>"Our position is that the artists don't get any regeneration of
>revenues from royalties on the second-time selling of their work," said
>Brian Robertson, president of the Canadian Recording Industry
>Association...

This is BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT.  Are we talking major labels here?  Crying because their ARTISTS are being deprived of ROYALTIES?????  HA!  Major labels recoup *everything* before an artist sees dime one...and I mean, everything.  You have to be freakin' HUGE like Girth, er, Garth & have an amazing contract before it even begins to be fair.

Everyone else gets overcharged for recording, video, publicity, marketing, executive limos & lunches, stock that "disappears" from the back dock, loss leaders at major chains, you name it.  Clive Davis eventually got his ass fired from CBS because he used to do shit like pay for his kids' bar mitzvahs with the "royalty revenue regeneration"...imagine being the mc for next year's Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony, & during your monologue asking, "okay, how many y'all got FUCKED???"  Christ, it'd look like the Nuremberg rally scene from Triumph of the Will, there'd be so many arms in the air...

And that's if you're lucky enough *not* to be signed as a tax write-off...after they get to write off a huge expense (not the pittance they really spent on you), you get dropped OWING all that money to the rekkid label.

No, no, nooooo, these are crocodile tears.  The major labels were on about this about four years ago (Garth's name came up then too...he's been stumping for The Man for years), & got slammed in the press for being greedy.  So this time around they've got "Brian Robertson, president of the Canadian Recording Industry Association" as the beard.  But THEY'RE pulling the strings!!

(insert spooky music - cue waterbuffalo)

>Country music megastar Garth Brooks has been a vocal opponent of used
>CD sales, as he feels anyone who is buying his discs second-hand is
>stealing his revenues.

God.  This man IS the evil Anti-Hank.  The Bluegrass Borg must get ourselves a manchurian candidate & brainwash him to infiltrate Garth's road band.

"Garth baby?  Meet your new lead guitarist, Slowhand Sirhan..."

heh heh heh

Buddy
What Girl In A Polka Dot Dress? Rockets

                     Buddy Woodward  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       THE GHOST ROCKETS - "Maximum Rhythm & Bluegrass"
                 http://www.hudsonet.com/~undertow/ghostrockets