[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I picked up a copy
 of Shoot Out the Lights by the former Mr.-and-Mrs. I got it because it KEPT
 ON showing up on critics and fans lists of Top Whatevers. Plus, Bob Mould
 had done a blistering version of the title track, and anyway, I got it. And
 while I will acknowledge how floored I was by the guitar work on the title
 track, I liked maybe one other song on the album. The songs may have been
 good, but the production of the album left me flat-out cold.  >>

That album was completely recorded twice, once with Gerry Rafferty at the
board, which was never released, and the available version by Joe Boyd. There
is a bootleg (oops) called "Rafferty's Folly" of e unreleased version, and it
is quite different from the other one. I interviewed Richard Thompson once and
asked him about past recordings. He said he "hated them all", and acknowledged
that production quality was one of the reasons.

Slim