http://www.sfbg.com/AandE/33/19/twolive.html

Jeff Bright and the Sunshine Boys
I tell you what

OK, OK, I'm a sucker for any song that happens to mention the city of Brisbane, lovely
nearby hillbilly haven that it is, and Jeff Bright and the Sunshine Boys mentioned it
with particular relish in "50 Dollar Bill." Written by Bright himself, it inspired a
cheer of approval from the crowd at Club Deluxe, and immediately made them tops in my
book. That particular tune came early in the evening, too, setting a decidedly
California-country theme that would (happily for me) continue all evening.

Bright can sing like nobody's business, with a voice that's equal parts Buck Owens and
Chris Isaak -- an unusual sort of Bakersfield-San Francisco hybrid that produces a
lovely, resonant, subtly honed twang. There would have been no mistaking that vintage
Bakersfield influence either, even if I had missed it in Bright's voice, since the
Sunshine Boys spelled it out with every drawling note of David Phillips's pedal steel,
every solo from Max Butler's lead guitar, and every word of each Buck Owens cover tune
(including such sturdy standards as "Act Naturally" and "Tiger by the Tail").

The band's own songwriting -- with an Owens-esque sense of humor -- explores the
fundamental country themes of love, loss, drinking, more loss, and some more drinking.
Maybe it was the beer, or maybe it was the lyrics, but as I sank down to a suitable
level of appreciative melancholia, it occurred to me all over again that the most
powerful tunes are never the ones that touch a new nerve, but those that evoke, with
but a single simple phrase and some well-bent pedal steel, a hundred songs and a
thousand feelings.

The Sunshine Boys (which also included David Antony on upright bass and Christopher
Fisher on drums) couldn't have sounded more impeccably cohesive and finished and
clearly fresh from recording their first album, scheduled for release this month on
San Francisco's Rogue Records. See them perform this week with the Hollisters at
DeMarco's (honky-tonk venue par excellence) in -- where else? -- Brisbane. Mon/14, 9
p.m., DeMarco's 23 Club, 23 Visitacion, Brisbane. $7. (415) 467-7717. (Also Fri/19, 10
p.m., Ivy Room, 858 San Pablo, Albany. $5. 510-524-9299.) (Westbrook)