Plucked with permission from the AOL ND side, here's an interesting post that
harkens back to the thread we had recently about writers and their
relationship with the musicians they write about. Grist for the mill. -- Neal
Weiss

<<Subject:      Pow! Biff! Smack!
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hut234)
Date:   09 Feb 1999 00:41:22 EST

Here's my spell-checked version of this post, in case the other one finds it's
way through cyber space and appears here...

"Who wouldn't want to punch a critic smack-dab in the kisser?"  Another
fantastic monthly opinion column in this month's Illinois Entertainer by
editor Michael C. Harris.

His Roadkill has always been one of my very favorite reads, and this one
ranks.  Unfortunately, IE online doesn't make "Roadkill" available on their
web site (www.illinoisentertainer.com) but long story short this one is about
the problem of chummy critics, magazine reinforcement of an artist's sense of
entitlement as they continue to exert more and more control over press they
receive, and so much more.

On "making nice" with artists and record companies: "One of the biggest
problems with today's music press is that it has become the follower rather
than the leader - mostly because they don't want to offend someone and cut off
the almighty ad dollar."  "So is it any wonder artists and managers (and
labels for that matter) have grabbed the reins of control in the
relationship?"

On chummy critics: "From my perspective, this is perhaps the most troubling
development in contemporary journalism."  He goes to say that he feels "it's
the journalist's responsibility to keep the parameters of the relationship
clearly defined."  This column is about 1000 words, so I risk making a mess of
one that clearly flows, and I'm picking and choosing here, but..."There should
be distinct lines drawn in the relationship, because regardless of
whether or not I like a musician as a person, I can't let it affect my
reasoned opinion of their work - and it does if you begin to think of an
artist as anything more than a creative force."

"It comes down to a simple matter of respect and fairness - to both the
artists and the readers for which you write. It all starts with the music, and
as a critic, I must keep my focus squarely on that and that alone, because I'm
judging a creative endeavor that an artist toiled over and I owe it to readers
to give them a fair, reasoned assessment of it. When your entire career and
livelihood is dependent on your writing, reputation, and good name,
it's a wonder more members of the music press don't show a little more respect
for what they do."  Harris is true.  Write IE for a copy of the column.