Well, sorta. Elmore Leonard's new one, Be Cool, may be of interest to some
here.  Chili Palmer, last seen making a career change, from loan shark to
movie producer, in Get Shorty, is back, and getting into L.A.'s other
racket, the music business. Signs on to manage an alt-country band just
looking for a hit, Odessa, "AC/DC meets Patsy Cline," and finds it ain't all
that different from his previous lines of work (I'm sure Elmore means no
offense to you industry types in the audience). Did he read Hit Men? It's
wickedly funny, and though I have no first hand knowledge of the music biz,
the satire reads true enough. And Harry Dean Stanton's in it. Terrific cast
of characters, dead-on dialogue, sharp eye for pop cultural details: Leonard
is a national treasure, pulp fiction division.

Also, with all the buzz around the Comp Country & Western Recordings reissue
last fall, it may be list-worthy to note the new bio, Ray Charles: Man and
Music, by Michael Lydon. It's worth a look. For those with Seattle
connections, the chapter on the city's late 40's jazz scene is a treat.
And, after seeing others talk about it here, been making my way through
Peterson's Creating Country Music. Hmmm. The thesis is compelling enough,
and while I can see the heuristic value in the typologies (soft shell/hard
core, etc.), and not that I haven't learned a thing or two, I gotta say,
with all due respect to Prof. Peterson, the social scientific style of
exposition leaves me cold. But then, I studied history in college.

n.p. Odessa