Also, I was wondering where might be a good place to start to put a
tentative
>toe into Vince Gill's back catalog.  If it helps, I like most of what Randy
>Travis does (as a point of comparison) except for schlock like "I Did My
Part",
>and I detest things like "Holes in the Floor of Heaven and other assorted
>unfortunate metaphors"
Stevie

I'm assuming that you're familiar with "The Key" as you said "back catalog".
If not, that work (in my opinion) is his most compelling and personal output
to date.  However, you could also try "Pocket Full Of Gold", MCA - 1991;
"Where Love Finds You", MCA - 1994; or "High Lonesome Sound", MCA - 1996.
Tera