On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:27:31 -0500 Matt Benz said:
>BTW- Dave Alvin announced from the stage last night that the new
>Derailers will be the best yet. His concert last night was the first in
>a long time that held me enthralled. We found out for instance that the
>"border radio" request was Cupid, and that Alvin and the Guilty Men can
>do a little R&B - Philly and Motown style, with their special guest
>vocalist, whose name escapes me, but Alvin produced his album and had
>him selling tees. Anyway, they did- and Cantwell can correct me "Cowboys
>and Indians" I believe (about playing shoot em up as a kid. Song was
>familar but.....), which included a verse and chorus from Just My
>Imagination. Excellent.

    In case David is otherwise engaged - the song sounds like it might
be the Intruders(?) "Cowboys to Girls" which was recently covered by Chris
Gaffney, with duet vocals from Lucinda, on his 1995 Dave Alvin produced album
"Loser's Paradise" (great cd, btw).
    Speaking of country-soul, I was listening to Freda Payne's "Band of Gold"
recently and I coulda sworn that some country act in the last 10 years had
covered it and maybe even had a hit with it.  Anybody?
                                 Evan Cooper