Okay, here's a question:

I am now the proud part-owner of a very cool used bookshop. We want to
do some in-store music thangs now and then. What I need to know is, how
much do you guys out there charge for this sort of thing? Details are
still being hashed out, but there seems to be two main kinds of gig
we're talking about. One: inside the store, acoustic, probably weekday
afternoons (the ever-popular "noon concert" is a possibility), maybe
afternoon weekends. The other would definitely be weekends, outside the
store, electric or acoustic, in tandem with other events by other
stores. Little tiny mini-festival kinda deal. Summertime stuff.

Besides a fee, you can of course bring your merch. Food is a likely
possiblility -- just don't expect squirrel brains. Extra barter for
books or records can be negotiated. We can set up a display of your CDs
ahead of time with a promo poster and feature it on the "Now Playing"
rack as often as we can stand. 8-) Etc.

But, how much $$? And does the fee go up on weekends? Evenings? I've
never done this before, so clue me in to what's standard, expected, etc.

Lastly but not leastly, what about ASCAP fees?

Thanks much,
--Cheryl Cline

P.S.: Check out the Diablo Books website at http://www.diablo-books.com

P.P.S.: Check it out again next week after my "Odd Volumes" column
starts!