Kelly Willis all grown up; A new album. Her own songs.
      john t. davis

    * 02/18/99
      Austin American-Statesman

      (Copyright 1999)
        `My Gawd," said Kelly Willis' luncheon companion. "The last thing
     I'd think you wanted to look at is another plate of barbecue."
        It was a reasonable enough assumption. Shortly after Willis blew
     into town in 1987, her band, Kelly and the Fireballs, landed a
     regular gig on the outdoor stage at Green Mesquite BBQ, on the corner
     of Barton Springs and Lamar.
        Willis herself, then on the shy side of 20, virtually personified
     the phrase "a mere slip of a girl," but she was the possessor of a
     Kelly-and-a-half voice that yanked enough heads sideways to make a
     chiropractor about two-thirds rich. (That voice was -- and remains --
     a wondrous instrument, warmly flavored with a Southern purr, and as
     richly burled  as walnut paneling. When Willis sings, it is the
     aural equivalent of a cat curling up in your lap.)
        All the same, there are only so many nights a girl wants to come
     home after midnight smelling like an ambulatory brisket . . . One
     couldn't blame Willis if she regarded what Little Richard used to
     call "bobby-cue" with ambivalence.
        "Naw," she said on this February day, as she tucked into a bowl of
     jambalaya crowned with a glistening hunk of Elgin smoked sausage.
     "God, you can't live in Texas and not like barbecue."
        Speaking of the Green Mesquite days, she sounded as though she
     were analyzing another girl's performance: "I was so self-conscious
     and scared that I don't even remember what happened . Other people
     go, `Oh, remember when this happened?' And I go, `Oh yeah. . .'
     But I would never have remembered it on my own because all my
     memories are about just being terrified."
        A decade-and-change later, at the ripe old age of thirty-and-a-
     half,  Willis remains as burdened by fears, doubts, second guesses
     and insecurities as anyone in her audience. But she has uncovered a
     liberating secret. Well, it's not a secret, exactly -- it's just
     something everyone has to discover for themselves. Namely, that
     freedom only comes from taking chances, not from avoiding them.

        Onstage, she said, "I used to joke that I wanted to tell everyone
     to stop looking at me, `I know I'm in the middle of the stage here,
     but I don't want you to look at me!' "
        But, she continued, "The more you perform and the more you
     actually are bad or mess up, you come to realize it's not the end of
     the world. You get more confident. You get better. You get used to
     whatever it was you were afraid of."
        A similar revelatory process informed the making of her fifth
     (including the limited-edition 1996 EP, "Fading Fast") and long-
     deferred album, "What I Deserve." Not only is it her debut effort
     for a new label, Rykodisc, "What I Deserve" also features six songs
     written or co-written by Willis. She has never been as well-
     represented as a writer on an album.
        The remainder of the disc is fleshed out by songs from the late
     English songwriter Nick Drake, Austin's Damon Bramblett, Paul
     Westerberg (formely of the Replacements), Gary Louris of the
     Jayhawks, veteran R&B master Dan Penn and a pair of tunes from her
     spouse, Bruce Robison.
        Measuring the artistic distance between "What I Deserve" and her
     last full album, 1993's "Kelly Willis," she said, "I think it's just
     the natural growth that anyone would have over five years, especially
     coming out of your mid-20s, when you're just figuring out who you
     are. Mostly, I think it's just that I got more confident. There's a
     point of view and a focus to this album that's a lot different for
     me. I take a long time to write a song, and that's usually because
     it's about something real, and I want it to end up sounding real."
        "Sounding real" is especially important to Willis, whose career
     has sometimes resembled a series of Procrustean beds. Guided for
     years, for better or worse, by other musicians, managers and
     producers (most notably  country  hitmaker and MCA Nashville
     president Tony Brown), Willis often found herself being twisted and
     stretched like a piece of State Fair taffy. If it serves no other
     purpose, "What I Deserve"  will stand as her declaration of
     independence.
        From Willis' point of view, the title track and "Talk Like That"
     (her first solo writing credit on record) are the  most important .
     The songs could not be more different.
        "Talk Like That" is a reminiscence, inspired by a show she played
   * with bluegrass virtuoso Ricky Skaggs, that illuminates the power that
     voices have to conjure up a sense of place. "I can hear my
     father/And his Oklahoma drawl," she sings, "I can hear my
     grandmother/Oh,  I can hear them all." The melody is that of a rusty
     country two-step, evoking nostalgic memories and rural roots. Coming

     from Willis, who was born in Oklahoma and grew up in northern
     Virginia, it has the feel of a memoir.
        "What I Deserve," on the other hand, evokes no specific era, and
     in fact it seems out of time entirely. A gorgeous pop performance
     with its ghostly, Roy Orbison-esque "Na-na-nana" chorus, it
     nevertheless conjures up a sense of dread, finding the singer
     paralyzed by a fear she cannot even articulate.
        "Hell, I've walked a long way just to find the end of my rope,"
     she sings, and at the end of the journey, she manages only to stammer
     over and over, "What I deserve. . ." as though afraid to complete
     the thought or contemplate the consequences. With its beautiful
     descending guitar line, "What I Deserve" might be the loveliest song
     Willis has ever put on record, but it's a chilling portrait,
     nonetheless. "What I deserve," she sings, "is comfort for my shaken
     soul," but that solace sounds a long way off, and getting further by
     the minute.
        "I guess I feel like I'm taking a bigger risk with this record,"
     said Willis. "And it doesn't matter as much. Back then (on her
     previous albums), I was taking a smaller risk and it really mattered.
     Now the risks I'm taking seem bigger -- like, some people might not
     like the songs I've written. They might seem weird to them. To me,
     that's a risk. But ultimately I don't really care, because that's
     the only way I'm going to be happy in my professional life or my
     personal life, and that's what needs to be done."
        Such decisiveness, expressed so crisply, is a fresh aspect of
     Willis' persona, one that seems to have emerged via age and
     experience. She has been married for the past year and a half to
     singer/songwriter Bruce Robison. In the same period, she performed
     on last summer's hot-as-a-pistol  Lilith Fair tour and took command
     of her recording career, raising the money for the independent
     project, moving from one label to another and switching producers en
     route. There were lots of hard calls along the way.

        Decision, in Willis' case, seems to have influenced demeanor. Her
     gaze, when she speaks, is calm and direct . All in all, she seems
     fa
     removed from the willowy girl who used to hide behind her big
     acoustic guitar, (Well, maybe not so far. . . "I hate it whenever I
     don't play on a song! I feel like, oh God, I can't wait till it's
     over. So perhaps due to that, I've learned to play guitar better,"
     she says with a laugh).
        "Dealing with getting older . . . it feels like it gets better.
     You get smarter and wiser," she said meditatively. "I think for a
     woman it's a little bit harder because you know that the way you look
     has a really big impact on the way people think about you." (As she
     speaks, she is illuminated by daylight pouring through the big plate
     glass window of the restaurant. It is the cruelest light, as far as
     a woman's complexion is concerned. But Willis, whose
     strawberry-blonde good looks led to an appearance in "People"
     magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People issue a few years back, displays
     only a few faint lines around her eyes as evidence of the march of
     time.)
        "In my career, the big thing that was always talked about was how
     young I was," she continued. "It was a BIG part of my appeal it
     seems like. So as I was getting into my late 20s, I used to start
     going, `Oh God, what are they going to talk about now? There's
     nothing there!' I guess I'm sort of figuring out how to make
     something be there."
        Making something be there is every artist's challenge. The extent
     to which Willis rises to meet that challenge is the measure by which
     she will be judged at the end of the day. As if contemplating the
     task ahead -- as if energized by it -- Willis puts down her fork and
     gets up from the table.
        There's work to do.