Man In Black looks back

    * 02/19/99
      Belfast News Letter
            (Copyright 1999)
   *    JOHNNY CASH - country music's Man in Black - lived on the wild
     side of life over a large part of his singing career, and his
     reputation as a drug addict and acknowledged 'Outlaw' is part of
     American folklore. The Cash personal recollections on amercurial
     lifestyle and thoughts on his more famous contemporaries are related
     in an autobiography to be published on March 1. BILLY KENNEDY reports
        JOHNNY CASH was part of the "Millionaire Quartet" who recorded on
     the Sun label in Memphis during the 1950s. The other three were up-
     and-coming rockabilly guys who were all the rage at the time - Elvis
     Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis.
        The four, according to Johnny, got along well while appearing at
     shows but only once did they come together for a recording session.
     That was with Elvis seated at the piano leading the other three in
   * renditions of bluegrass and gospel standards. All
        had come from a Southern gospel background, but each had to some
     degree strayed off the righteous path.
        Presley in the 1950s, says Cash, was a highly sensitive young man.
        "He was easily hurt by the stories people told about him being on
     dope and so on. I myself couldn't understand why people wanted to
     say that back in the fifties because in those days Elvis was the last
     person on earth who needed dope.
        "He had such a high energy level that it seemed he never stopped -
     though maybe that's why they said he was on dope. Either way, he
     wasn't, or at least I never saw any evidence of it. I never saw him
     use any kind of drugs, or even alcohol; he was alwaysclear-headed
     around me, and very pleasant.
        "Elvis was such a good guy, and so talented and charismatic - he
     had it all - that some people couldn't handle it and reacted with
     jealousy. It's just human, I suppose, but it's sad."
        The Cash-Presley relationship was cordial, but not that tight.
        "I was older than he was, for one thing and married for another.
     I took the hint that when he closed his world around him. I didn't
     try to invade his privacy. I'm so glad I didn't because so many of

     his friends were embarrassed so badly when they wereturned away at
     Graceland.
        "In the 1960s and 1970s he and I chatted on the phone a couple of
     times and swapped notes now and again. If he was closing at the Las
     Vegas Hilton as I was getting ready to open, he'd wish me luck, but
     that was the extent of it," recalls Johnny.
        "The Elvis I knew was the Elvis of the 1950s. He was kind when I
     worked with him; a 19-year-old who loved cheeseburgers, girls and his
     mother, not necessarily in that order (it was more like his mother,
     then girls, then cheeseburgers!).
        "Personally I liked cheeseburgers and I had nothing against his
     mother, but the girls were the thing. He had so many girls after him
     that whenever he was working with us, there were always plenty left
     over.
        "As an entertainer Elvis was so good. Every show I did with him I
     never missed the chance to stand in the wings and watch. We all did,
     he was that charismatic."
        The late Carl Perkins, whose big hit was Blue Suede Shoes, was
     very special to Johnny Cash, very close.
        "We'd been raised on the same music, the same work, the same
     fundamentalist Christian religion; we were in tune with each other.
     Carl was countrified and country-fried from south-west Tennessee,
     while I was a country boy from Arkansas.
        "We shared a lot in the Christian values area. Neither of us was
     walking the line as Christians, but both of us clung to our beliefs.
     Carl had great faith and at his depths, when he was drunkest, what
     he'd talk about was God and guilt - the samesubjects I would bring up
     when I was in my worst shape.
        "Whenever Carl drank, he's get drunk, and he drank often. It
     seemed like the Perkins car couldn't keep enough whiskey in it. And
     when he was drunk he would cry.
        "But he was man of his word. If you asked him for help and he
     agreed, he'd be there without fail. If he borrowed money from you
     and told you he'd pay it back Monday, that's when you got it," said
     Johnny.
        Jerry Lee Lewis, a performer with a wild reputation, was, as Cash
     recalls, one who took things seriously.
        "He'd just left Bible College when he first go to Sun Records, so
     we all had to listen to a few sermons in the dressing room. Mostly
     they were about rock 'n' roll leading us and our audiences to sin and

     damnation, which Jerry Lee was convinced washappening to him every
     time he sang a song like 'Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On'.
        "I'm out here doing what God don't want me to do, and I'm leading
     people to hell," Jerry Lee would declare fervently. "That's exactly
     where I'm going so long as I keep singin' this kind of stuff and I
     know it."
        Then he would tell them they were all going to hell with him.
        Johnny Cash, the Autobiography. Assisted by Patrick Carr.
     Published by HarperCollins (UK) pounds 20 (hardback).