In a message dated 2/23/99 9:05:40 AM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< No kidding.  I read the first 15 albums listed and hit delete
 <g>....  Rock-crit snobbery plus, dare I suggest. >>

phil -- you certainly may dare, but the more i think about these posts
accusing kot of snobbery, the less comfortable i become. kot's job is to cover
a broad range of popular music for the chicago tribune. notwithstanding its
dependence on the post-punk rockcrit canon, his list reflects what he listens
to and writes about. it's born of his efforts to understand what's happening
in rock, pop, and hip hop and to convey that understanding to a
general/mainstream audience. that strikes me as populist-leaning rather than
provincial. he obviously listens to some types of music more than others, but
at the very least his list is an example of musical ecumenism, an  expression
of his understanding and appreciation of a fairly wide range of popular and
semi-popular music. had the list contained nothing but hip hop, or bluegrass,
or death metal, then i dare say he'd be a snob. bill f-w