>The concept for Sgt. Pepper was based on creating an oldtime sort of big
band
>that accompanied a traveling circus , I think. It most definitely was a
>concept album. Read your music history books.

>Slim

So, where does "Within You Without You" fit into this context? I didn't
realize mush-mouthed ragas were old-timey big-band <g>. Unless Glenn Miller
incorporated sitar into his Air Force marches and I wasn't notified, I'm
pretty sure that Sgt.Pooper's is a collection of disparate tracks that
sometimes inter-connects, but often doesn't. Paul may have wanted it to be a
concept album, but it just doesn't add up to one (though the title track
I'll admit is conceptual). In fact, I don't think this LP's anymore of a
concept album than Side 2 of Abbey Road (although some rock historians
insist that that's "conceptual" as well). Maybe it comes down, as so much
ultimately does, to which version of history you want to believe.

As far as the "accompaniment of a travelling circus," I believe that was the
M.O. of the disastrous Magical Mystery Tour, which is a whole different
sheet of acid. That SPLHCB incorporated many different musical
elements--with varying degrees of success--doesn't necessarily make it a
concept album, despite what the mythology may imply. And I'll stand on Billy
Shears' coffee table in my Beatle Boots and tell him that.

The walrus was Brian Epstein.

Lance . . .