Howdy,

You know, I've already taken some ribbing on P2 for it and it makes poor ol'
Slim nearly gag to death when I say it, but count me as a fan of Martina
McBride.

I don't catch the "blandness" label that folks seem to put on her. Of
course, I also happen to believe that "Independence Day" is one of the best
songs of the decade (since folks seem to be in a mood to compile such data).
And, I'd happily count "Cheap Whiskey," as one of my personal favorites as
well. (For that matter, I think y'all might benefit from a listen to her
debut album, The Time Has Come, which features "Cheap Whiskey" and other
tunes that make for a pretty solid debut performance. The album also
includes backing support from Carl Jackson and Kathy Chiavola, an overlooked
voice in her own right.)

I find that McBride is capable of using her talent to deliver a country-pop
tune, a ballad, or what you guys sometimes refer to as a "real" country
song. Regardless of what type of song she's performing, I generally have no
trouble finding the country-influence in it, unlike (to pick on an easy
target) some of Shania's most recent efforts (although, Twain does carry a
definite country influence in earlier works. She will, I imagine, eventually
jump with both feet onto the pop side of the fence, as Mr. Weisberger
suggested earlier.)

Here's the part that'll probably make Slim choke on his tongue...

I have no qualms about placing McBride among some of the notable other
female country singers who mixed a sometimes "pop-oriented" sound with
country-rooted ballads and "down home" finger poppin' music. One that comes
to mind pretty quickly in that group is Jeannie C. Riley, but others who fit
that description pretty well include Tammy Wynette and Donna Fargo.

At least, that's how my ears hear it.

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN