WILCO GOES TO THE LIMITS
      `SUMMERTEETH' CHALLENGES BAND - AND SINGER
          * 02/28/99
      Chicago Tribune
            (Copyright 1999 by the Chicago Tribune)
        Jeff Tweedy thought he had blown it. Tweedy and his bandmates in
     Wilco - Jay Bennett, Ken Coomer and John Stirratt - had just finished
     writing, arranging and producing their third album, "Summerteeth"
     (Reprise), due out March 9. It boldly transforms the band's roots-
     rock image by dipping their laid-back, countryfied melodies into a
     strange brew of warped keyboards, distorted sound effects and
     otherworldly atmosphere that suggests the influence of the Beach
     Boys' "Pet Sounds," Brian Eno's "Another Green World" and Neutral
     Milk Hotel's "On Avery Island."
        But even as the band members were exhilarated about pushing their
     boundaries as songwriters and producers, Tweedy couldn't escape the
     notion that he hadn't lived up to his end of the bargain.
        "I apologized to the band," the singer-guitarist says. "We kept
     surprising ourselves in the studio, and I kept being surprised by the
     things coming out of my mouth as I was singing these songs. Just the
     worst things, which came out almost in spite of how (his wife) Sue
     would feel when she heard them, or my parents, or anybody."
        I dreamed about killing you again last night
        And it felt alright to me
        --"Via Chicago," by Wilco
        "It was like I was letting go of myself, and how I'm going to be
     perceived," Tweedy continues. The songs, and the sentiments in them,
     weren't necessarily autobiographical, says the singer. "It was just
     free expression, almost selfless, and I thought I had gotten closer
     to where I wanted to be as a writer. The feeling of being
     uncomfortable with what I had written -- that felt more real to me
     than anything I could have constructed.
        "But at the same time I felt like I had let the band down. We
     worked really hard on this record, and my contribution was this
     dismal stuff: `Oh, and here's another reminder of how terrible things
     are.' "
        Tweedy laughs, his voice a husky, nicotine-scarred baritone, a
     voice that contrasts sharply with his cherubic face and boyishly

     rumpled hair. He is upstairs in the Northwest Side home he shares
     with his wife, Lounge Ax co-owner Sue Miller, and their 3-year-old
     son, Spencer. The shadows obscure his face as the sun dips behind
     the midwinter horizon. But there is now a smile in his voice, as he
     thinks back on his bandmates' reaction.
        "They basically said I was crazy -- they didn't accept my
     apology," he says. "That was nice. They were so focused on the
     music that they didn't hear it that way at all. To them, the lyric
     writer was just some person who could be me, or never was me, saying
     all these things."
        In a separate interview, Bennett -- who worked up the array of
     vintage keyboard textures that helped define the record -- says
     Tweedy began to understand the record only after it was finished. "I
     think he realized then that it was this beautiful thing, not the
     wallowing record he thought it was," he says. "It has dark lyrics,
     but the music we made is almost a counter to that. And that wasn't a
     product of some master plan, it was more a case of, `The studio is a
     really fun place, and we're making a beautiful building here.' We
     wanted to take pride in every floor we made. And we were having fun
     doing it."
        Listening to Bennett and Tweedy talk, one begins to appreciate the
     yin-yang relationship that has taken Wilco to the next level as a
     band, from a respected tradition-bound combo to an exhilarating

     adventurous one. Years ago, Tweedy, Coomer and Stirratt were in
     Uncle Tupelo, a band in which Tweedy and Jay Farrar were the primary
     songwriters. Tupelo's approach was purist in the extreme, with
     country-inflected songs stripped to their essence in the studio. Any
     sort of studio tinkering -- overdubs, extra instruments, weird sound
     experiments -- was viewed as a heinous, avoid-at-all-costs excess.
     When Farrar left to form his own band, Son Volt, the other three
     carried on as Wilco and released a 1995 debut album, "A.M.," that did
   * not stray far from Tupelo's traditional country-rock sound or
     unadorned production.
        Then Bennett joined the band, hired for his skill as a guitarist
     to flesh out the songs in concert. But when it came time to make
     Wilco's second album, Bennett's experience in the studio with pop-
     rock bands such as Titanic Love Affair began to assert itself.
        "I was a little intimidated by these guys at first," Bennett
     recalls. "They had already had a sound that people really liked.
     But they also wanted to make pop records -- `A.M.' was supposed to be
     a pop record, but it didn't really come across. Unlike Wilco, I
     didn't have a mold that I wanted to break out of, and so I was a good
     fit for them. When we did the second album (`Being There'), I began
     to suggest parts on keyboards that weren't part of the song as
     originally written (on guitars and drums). And once that happened,
     the door was just kicked open to another way of making a record."
        "Being There," released in 1996, was a major step forward for
     Tweedy as a songwriter and for Wilco as a band. "Y'all are
     forgettin' your roots," Bennett would playfully mock as the songs
     began assuming stranger, more allusive and open-ended shapes.
        With "Summerteeth," that approach was expanded. Guitars, which
     had been at the core of the first two records, were left in their
     cases, and vintage keyboards became the soul of the music, while
     Coomer and Stiratt provided the spine, a selfless rhythm section that
     seemed to breathe with the melodies and cushioned Tweedy's voice
     against the blows struck by his lacerating lyrics.
        On one level, "Summerteeth" is about distance, the emotional and

     geographical miles that a person must travel to find solace, purpose,
     a home.
        "I don't want to encourage autobiographical connections to the
     record, but when you come home from touring for months, it's hard not
     to feel like you're in somebody else's house, it's hard to make that
     transition and feel integrated as a human being," Tweedy says.
     "There's `dad' and there's this guy who gets a lot of attention --
     `rock star' or whatever you want to call it, and that doesn't make
     him feel any better. It's like, here I am in Paris wanting to visit
     all the places that Henry Miller hung out, except I'm waiting in the
     hotel room for the phone to ring."
        How to fight loneliness
        Smile all the time
        Shine your teeth 'til meaningless
        Sharpen them with lies
        -- "How to Fight Loneliness," by Wilco
        But on another level, "Summerteeth" is about a four-piece rock
     band pushing against the limits of expectation, sound and its own
     history. It's about pop music as a force that transcends even a
     singer's self-absorption, and sweeps the listener along with it: The
     mini-symphony compressed into the 3 1/2 minutes of "Pieholden Suite,"
     the watery strings and Lennon-esque "I'm So Tired" vocals of "My
     Darling," the bravura pop of "Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again),"
     the way "Via Chicago" starts off as a plaintive folk-country song and
     then slowly reveals its kaleidoscopic colors as it spirals off into
     space.
        "The sleigh bells, the horn solo at the end of `Pieholden Suite'
     that replaced the third verse of lyrics -- the impulse was to
     brighten things up more and more as we recorded and reworked things,
     and to make the lyrics seem smaller, somewhat less serious," Tweedy
     says. "That became the redemption, the way of creating a sense that
     the really beautiful thing is right under your nose, no matter how
     bad things might feel at that moment."
        Tweedy laughs when he is asked to consider what happened to the
     singer-songwriter who once shuddered at the thought of a producer
     tampering with his precious acoustic guitar chords in the studio.
        "I'm the same guy," he says. "The essence of that is the same as
     this: To make a record that I feel good about, and that I don't feel
     like I'm hearing anywhere else. We didn't have any technical
     expertise back then (in Uncle Tupelo), so that was the most exciting
     thing for us to be. Now we do. There's a certain amount of audacity
     involved in making a record. So if you have a chance to say
     something, you better make it worth your while. I love records too
     much to make something that I wouldn't want to stick in my
     collection."