Howdy,

David says: <<So maybe the SG tradition has changed into something I don't
get or appreciate. Very possible.>>

Well, I suppose it's just like every other form of music. It's always being
tinkered with for better or worse.

There are indeed practicioners of vacant and (how ironic) soulless
performances in Southern Gospel, as there are similar performers in other
forms. I'm blessed with a limited knowledge and vocabulary in Southern
Gospel, so I don't tend to cross paths with every group and song that comes
down the pike.

Since my mom raised me on Elvis' work, I was naturally introduced to SG
through J.D. Sumner, the Blackwoods, and others that were an influence on
Mr. Presley. My mom would also mention these acts and play whatever copies
of their music she may have had in her almost Elvis-exclusive record
collection.

A fun alternate universe game that we played: "What if Elvis had joined the
Blackwoods or some other SG quartet?"

I will say that at the age of 6, when I first got to see Elvis in concert, I
was equally excited about the opportunity to hear J.D. Sumner that night. I
wanted to see if his voice could really make my insides shake like mom said
they would. (It did.)

Whoops... veering back on topic for a moment...

David: <<But anyway, what I meant, specifically, when I referred to someone
getting it all down in a book before it's long gone>>

I have hopes that the SGMA's establishment of a Hall of Fame will be the
first step in recording that history. I intend to poke my nosy self around a
bit to find out what's what on that front.

David: <<the quartet tradition of the Blackwoods, Statesmen, Florida Boys
(who I know are still going strong), LeFevres, rambos, Oak Ridge, Kingsmen,
etc. Is that still around down there?>>

Yes it is, quite happily. Though, granted, what I refer to as the "crying
mama" family bands seem to have the upper hand right now, out of sheer force
of numbers alone more than anything. But, that type of Southern Gospel is a
legitimate tradition within SG in its own right.

The quartet I am most familiar with is the Kingdom Heirs. They are
essentially Dolly's "SG House Band" for Dollywood, operating as regular
performers there during the park season, serving as ambassadors and hosts
for visiting SG groups, etc. They have become one of the most popular
features of the park's entertainment network, which has a good deal to do
with the decision to site the SGMA's Hall of Fame on the park property.

The Kingdom Heirs also appear quite a bit, I believe they actually host, on
a syndicated TV show called "Southern Stage." The show is/was filmed at
Dollywood's Celebrity Theater and features a good many of the best SG groups
out there.

The show airs/aired (I no longer have cable and don't know if it's still in
production) on the Odyssey Channel, but I think it may show up on some other
Christian-themed or family-themed networks in other parts of the country.

David: <<Given what I like, Shane, do you think the annual national quartet
convention would let me down or lift me up? Is it worth checking out?>>

Actually, I'm of no help at all to you here. I've never had the pleasure of
venturing out to the convention. (It is the one in Louisville, KY, isn't
it?)

I can say that Dollywood's Southern Gospel Jubilee in October should appeal
to your tastes, though. I'll be sure to post a listing of performers when it
becomes available.

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NPIMH: Elvis, "I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs"