Lianne recommends..>
> But for something more country-ish, I suggest you check out Dave Carter & Tracy
> Grammer.  I heard them at PSA (Portland Songwriters Association) and again 6
> weeks ago at the Greg Brown concert in Corvallis.  I'd say they're sort of
> country-singersongwriter-folk blend.  IMHO, their faults are that some of Dave's
> songs are too "redneck," and sometimes, too "new age" (in subject matter).  But
> they have a real nice acoustic sound and their voices blend wonderfully.  Tracy
> plays fiddle, mandolin and more, and she has a beautiful voice; and Dave does banjo
> and guitar and has an OK voice.  I've got their cd if you want to hear it...

I'm gonna second Lianne's recommendation on this duo. I first heard them
at Kerrville last summer and they stole the show in the New Folk contest
(and were New Folk Winners). They've won many songwriter awards before
that and since then.
I lobbied hard for them to be included when we selected the Folk Alliance
showcases, and although they apparently were both sick last weekend, they
showcased well and had people talking. They've got a couple records--the
most recent was rated pretty highly by the people on the FolkDJ list in
their year end wrap up.

Randi.