from Cary Ginell on 78-L

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/05 11:09 AM >>>
Eddie Dean, one of the last of the singing cowboys, died yesterday in
Thousand Oaks. He was 91. The hospital Eddie was at is located right
behind my house, but I didn't know he was there until he was in a coma
on Wednesday. I knew Eddie and saw him frequently at various parties and
get-togethers for veteran
west coast country performers, usually held at the late Hank Penny's
house.  (Hank called them "Let's-have-another-party-before-
we-have-another-funeral Party) At these parties, I was able to meet and
chat with folks like Joe Maphis, Speedy West, Stuart Hamblen, Wesley &
Marilyn Tuttle, Harold Hensley, Billy Liebert, Cliffie Stone, Sue
Thompson, and many others. Since Hank died
in 1992, the parties stopped, so I hadn't seen Eddie for 6 or 7 years.
The last time I saw him I was strolling with my wife at our local mall
and ran into Eddie and his wife "Dearest." Eddie was a pleasant man,
very friendly and talkative, who knew of his major role in the history
of western films. He was an early star of the National Barn Dance on WLS
Chicago with his brother
Jimmie (no relation to the sausage king of "Big Bad John" fame). They
recorded as early as November, 1934 for ARC. He also recorded 78s for
Majestic, Sage & Sand, Capitol, Decca, and Ode. His most famous
composition was the hokey but sincere and emotional "I Dreamed of a
Hillbilly Heaven," written with friend
Hal Southern. The song eventually sold 10 million copies, spurred (pun
intended) by Tex Ritter's hit version.

I dreamed I was there in Hillbilly Heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sight...

Welcome to Hillbilly Heaven, Eddie. Say hit to Roy & Gene for us.

Cary Ginell
Sound Thinking Music Research
[EMAIL PROTECTED]