The Boudin Barndance - 3/4/99
Dan Ferguson
WRIU-FM, 90.3 Kingston, RI
Thursdays 6-9 pm

Welcomed in-studio guest Jack Smith this evening on the Barndance.  A
rockabilly-and-then-some hero in these parts, Jack's got his first full-
lengther in 11 years called "Can't Help Myself" just out on Run Wild Records.
(P2 DJ pals be on the lookout for this baby on which Mr. Smith offers many
looks.)  Talked and spinned the record and also previewed his show with Bill
Kirchen (who produced the record) coming up on Saturday night at The Call in
Providence.   First-time Barndance spins this evening in addition to the Smith
disc included a brand new circa early '70s "Best of" collection from Cliff
Waldron & the New Shades of Grass that features some pretty pleasing 'grass
sounds to these ears.  Butt-Shaker of the night?  "Can't Help Myself" from
Jack Smith with a sizzling guitar assist from Kirchen.  Onto zee goods....

Buck Owens, et al/ Buckaroo / Box Set / Rhino   (intro)

Kelly Willis - Cradle of Love / What I Deserve (Rykodisc)
Beaver Nelson - One Car Collision / The Last Hurrah (Freedom)
The Flatirons - Crazy Train / Pryaer Bones (#Past)
Mike Ireland & Holler - Biggest Torch / Learning How to Live (Sub Pop)
Kelly Willis - Take Me Down / What I Deserve (Rykodisc)
Rose Maddox - Rollin' in My Sweet Baby's Arms / Sings Bluegrass (Capitol)

Cliff Waldron, et al - I'm Lonesome Without You / Best of (Rebel)
Earle & McCoury's - Texas Eagle / The Mountain (EE)
Damnations Tx - Black Widow / Half Mad Moon (Sire)
Supersuckers - Roadworn and Weary / Must've Been High (Sub Pop)
Waco Bros - Hello to Everybody / WacoWorld (Bloodshot)
Skeets McDonlad - Fort Worth Jail / Don't Let the Stars .... (Bear Family)

World Famous Bluejays - Mud Flap Boogie / 7" (Diesel Only)
Red Sovine - Truck Drivin' Son of a Gun / Giddy-Up-Go (Starday)
Bill Kirchen - Womb to the Tomb / Have Love Will Travel (Black Top)
Jack Smith - Drive Johnny Drive / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)
The Rpitones - Barbedwire Scars / Cowboy's Inn (Bloodshot)

Lightnin' Hopkins - Meet You at the Chicken Shack / Texas Blues (Arhoolie)
Chuck E. Weiss - Jimmy Would / Extremely Cool (Slow River)
Evan Johns - Love is Murder / Love is Murder (Freedom)
Roy Loney & Phantom Movers - Evil-Hearted Ada / 7" (Norton)
Teen Rockers - Road Block / Concussion!!! (Mr. Manicotti)

Jack Smith - King of the Show / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)
Jack Smith - The Penny / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)
Jack Smith -  Can't Help Myself / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)

Jack Smith - Cadillac Jack / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)
Jack Smith - Neon Highway / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)
Jack Smith - Nothing Takes the Place of You / Can't Help Myself (Run Wild)
Ramrods - Riders in the Sky / 7" (Amy)

Bill Kirchen - Hot Rod Lincoln / Hot Rod Lincoln Live (Hightone)
Larry Hart - Freight Train / Boppin' Tonight (Ace)
Scotty Moore trio - Have Guitar Will Travel / Fernwood Rockabillies
(Stompertime)
Wes Bryant - I Just Want Your Love / West Texas Bop (Ace)

James Hand - Little Bitty Slip / Shadows Where the Magic Was
Biller & Wakefield - Grinding Gears / The Hot Guitars of (HMG)
Ramblin' Ramblers - Rock & Roll Joys / 7" (Dee Jay Jamboree)
The Scamps - Enchilada / Frolic Diner Vol. 1 (Romulan)

Burton & Mooney / Corn Pickin' / Legends of Country Guitar / Rhino  (outro)

Enjoy.
Boudin Dan

N.P. - Lone Justice