Brad Bechtel wrote:

> Plastic People Power
> Czech band that helped spawn revolution comes to San Francisco

which included:

> The tunes are hard-edged, crunching rockers with a metallic throb and pile-driving
>beat. The numbers are > also characterized by a jamming vibe, with young guitarist
>Joe Kararfiat (a new Plastic member) serving up > funky, fiery psychedelic riffs and
>Brabenec soaring into free-jazz saxophone excursions.

That's a good description of what the Plastic People sounded
like on Friday in Chicago, playing to a packed house at the
Empty Bottle.  First time I've ever been to a show where
audience members called out requests in Czech.

and, quoting sax player Vratislav Brabenec:

> ``Democracy is a long ways off. People are looking for freedom and what it means.
>I'm still trying to figure > that out for myself.''

They did a pretty amazing show, which to me was even more
amazing since I had never imagined I would see them play
live.

Local writer Jim DeRogatis said:

> Would the music be quite
> so gripping if you didn't
> know the history and the conviction behind it? I think so, but it's hard to
> separate these factors.

Kind of like seeing a Velvet Underground reunion, if Nixon
had thrown them in jail back in 1968.

If you have any interest in free jazz / avant garde /
progressive rock, then don't miss the remainder of this
tour.

http://www.czech.cz/washington/cult/eventemb.htm#plastici

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rock/05live1.html

--