Cheryl Cline wrote:

> Bob "Ask Joe" Soron wrote:
>
> >I remember the Name Problem, but I didn't much pay attention at the
> >time. I use pretty tightly defined nomenclatures, so that no matter
> >what people might think I'm saying, I always know. And as a non-Big
> >Tent-er, I don't use alt.country, No Depression, Americana, and other
> >titles synonymously. So I'm probably much less help than you'd hoped.
> >(I haven't got a clue as to chronology, either.)
>
> Well, YOU'RE no help! I'm still curious about how far back this "we gotta
> get a name for this stuff" goes. Anyone else remember? Uh, Joe? <g>

In 1971 we started looking for a name for it and the best we could do
was "Progressive Country", which was decent enough but somehow
unsatisfying. There was, and still is, no perfect name for something
this diverse. I mean, how do you describe country music played by
hippies? How about "Badly Played Country That Sounds Really Cool If You
Are Stoned"? How about "Singing About Whiskey While High on LSD"?
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records