Caught this band called the Hillbilly Cats in a wonderful working class
pub in Sheffield, and was regaled by Iain Noble on the underground
country/roots scene as it has historically existed in England.  This
place was  great.  Reminded me of the Rose Bowl tap here in Urbana.  The
band was terrific, playing Elvis, Holley and such as well as some Buck
Owens and country classics. (I was heartily disappointed when my ride
dragged me out before they played Cryin Time Again.  Iain stayed, giving
hearty support to what he called just a bunch of Sheffield good ole
boys.  It was strange to hear these great American songs from the 50s
and 60s (and later--they did a bang up job of an Eagles tune--much
better than the the Eagles), and then hear these strong north country
accents.   So differnetnt but so familiar.  It struck me just how many
pockets of this stuff there are around the world.  It was a reassuring
after my first day there when I had a quick course in the rise of
English civilization.  First was Stonehenge, then a trip to the
magnificent medieval cathederal in Salisbury, and then to Buffalo Bills
Trading Shack (51 Winchester St., Salisbury, Wiltshire) where they have
some of the tackiest western clothes this side of Garth.  Whew!  I did
manage to pick up a copy of the double magazine: Line Dance UK/Country
Music News and Routes.  Strange country.  Everyone wears black leather,
and they all laughed heartily as they passed the shop.  Ok. thats it for
the travelogue.

So Iain, arent you going to write up all that stuff about the Presley
book?