Sometimes we P2 lifers forget that there are a heck of a lot of you out there
who don't really know the origins of Twangfest, the Twang Gang, etc., so it's
high time to give a little history here.

In early 1997, it was becoming evident that a fair amount of P2-ers were in
bands--good bands, too, but combos that many of the far-flung subscribers never
had a chance to see because they weren't seasoned touring outfits for the most
part.  So, Matt Benz, Dave Purcell, Roy Kasten, and Kip Loui, among others,
tossed around
the idea of having a show in some central location that could serve as a sort
of get-together and a happenin' musical thing to boot.  People on P2 hopped on
this notion enthusiastically, and the band members who suggested the idea in
the first place organized the event, with St. Louis being picked as the central
spot.

It didn't seem too much to ask that the bands who organized the event *play* at
the event as well, and that's pretty much the way things stayed through the
second Twangfest, too.  What became evident to us last year, though, is that
due to the growing interest in T'fest, the old framework of choosing bands
wasn't going to work.  Too many good bands that were submitting deserved a shot
at playing what was becoming the antithesis of the weasely showcase events that
have proliferated across the country over the last five years or so.  Unlike
those events, we don't make a nickel from the proceeds, and we actually pay the
bands and give them all a motel room for the night.  Hey, lots of us in the
Twang Gang are *in* bands, and that's how we'd like to be treated.

But let's get back to band selection.
This year, the Twang Gang set up a separate band selection committee--five
members, two of whom are in the Gang, three of whom are not, NONE of whom are
in a band.  This seemed the best way to keep Twangfest a P2-centric event, but
still make the selection as fair to everyone as possible.

We just thought you ought to know.

We'd like to take this opportunity to remind you again that YOU can be a
sponsor of this grass-roots thing, and get some pretty good loot to boot, by
being a Friend of Twangfest.  For $100, which is less than some of you spend
every time you hit a record store, you get a three-day pass to Twangfest 3, a
copy of this year's new "Edges from the Postcard 2" CD, and a Twangfest 3
T-shirt.  AND, since Twangfest is now a real-deal non-profit organization,
you can deduct your donation to us from your taxes to the maximum extent
allowed by law.  Your donation will help us directly pay for this event,
*and* it will help us in our quest to get money from larger sponsors who look
for this sort of individual support when they make up their minds on who
deserves their cash the most.  It's funny that way--donations breed more
donations.  Contact Marie Arsenault at [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more
info on where to send your cash, checks, and krugerrands.  Please be aware that
ANY donation will help; we're just unable to offer the bonuses below a $100
donation.

It's really pretty exciting to think that what started out as a sorta
half-cocked party is turning out to be one hell of a good music event AND a
chance for all of us to see each other in person and hoot and holler til dawn.
If you're reading this, then you're already hooked on the looniest mailing list
on the net.  Complete the experience, help us out with a donation if you can,
and most importantly, COME TO TWANGFEST June 10-12 in St. Louis.  Write us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and keep checking www.twangfest.com for updates.

Muchas smooches,

Your Twang Gang
Marie Arsenault, Junior Barnard, Matt Benz, Amy Haugesag, Kip Loui, Dave
Purcell, John Wendland, and Mark Wyatt

P.S.  Yes, the Damnations TX are confirmed for Twangfest.  Stay tuned for more
announcements...