>Get this ya'll. A freind of mine who is setting up a tour for me in Canada
>this summer just got thru working production at the big rodeo in Houston,
>where many country acts played, including Shania.
>
>He said that most the show was taped (including vocals).
>
>How do artists plan to get away with this. Remember what happened to ELO.
They
>sure end up looking like fools if the DAT fails.....
>
>Oh well...
>
>Nancy
>flat is better than fraud

What happened to ELO?  Never heard that one.  Apparantly what happens (aside
from lip-syncing which is a completely different story or IS that what you
are referring to) is that the person(s) running the sound board in the back
can turn up the background singers, boost an instruments feed to drown out
or help even out a voice singing off-key or can insert
another singer or a pre-recorded taped selection.  This is expensive and
pretty precision work.  The recording of the show can then be taken back to
the studio for further mixing and/or correction.
Some while  ago there was some gossip going around which spoke of a piece of
equipment which would instantaneously alter any off-pitch singing.  Never
saw it, so don't know but wouldn't doubt that given what they can do in the
studio today, it's probably not too far off.
Yes, given a million dollars in equipment to work with, we're all
perfect...which actually I find quite sad.
Tera
BTW - there was a pretty good discussion about lip-syncing on a dejanews ng
about one year ago.  Concensus of opinion by the majority at that time was
that lip-syncing to their own voice was okay...lots of people took into
account stage fright and weather affecting vocals and the like, but they
drew the line at singers lip-syncing to a tape of a completely different
singer altogether. So, I guess in answer to your question, how do they get
away with it is that many people don't think lip-syncing and electronic
correction is a big deal.  Go figure.
T -