><< Last night, Chicago news radio station WBBM reported that Clint Black
may
> have recorded Billy Joe Shaver's "Honky Tonk Heroes" for his next album,
>
> (So, would he do a good job of it?) >>
>
>HELL, YES, GIVEN DECENT PRODUCTION. BLACK'S PIPES ARE EVERY BIT AS GOOD NOW
AS
>THEY WERE BACK WHEN HE WAS KILLIN' TIME. BILL F-W

But aren't "pipes" (in the technical sense) besides the point when it comes
to Billy Joe's songs?

I mean, this song is about attitude and experience and any solid
interpretation would have to at least feature a believable replication of
that attitude and experience. In light of "Georgia on a Fast Train" by
BR5-49 (a band of solid interpreters), isn't it tough to outdo the Corsicana
Kid?

("Kid"?!, you ask...well "Old Guy" wasn't alliterative enough for me.)

Anyway, I can't wait to hear some Shaver new tunes, produced by Ray
Kennedy...Have details on the upcoming disc been posted 'round here lately?

Tasq

np: KGSR via broadcast.com