linda ray wrote:
"Nobody's Dan Rather, here, and nobody's covering Congress." (i can't
help but reply!)

Close but no cigar -- I DO cover congress and I did give dan a copy of
the HTC cd the other day and invited him to sit in with us and sing a
coupla train songs any day (we both work for the same outfit) --

I haven't written any alt-country/country reviews yet, but I will.
Because writing about alt-country/country is different than covering
other genres. Right now it's a fairly underground scene -- Mike and I
call the "scene" in DC underground because there aren't many venues for
it here and there are no radio stations that play it (no americana
stations around, either -- can you believe it?)   BUT the audiences are
growing - rapidly, because there is the PERCEPTION of a scene. And if
there's a perceived scene, there is a scene. We had a terrible ice storm
here in DC last Thursday, and - despite write-ups in the Washington Post
and City Paper -- I really thought the only people who'd show up for the
Greetings from the District of Country cd release party at Iota would be
the players. I was happily wrong -- it was jam-packed. We are CREATING a
scene here!

But whatever you call it -- a scene-- a "movement" or whatever -- for
the most part, the publicity isn't going to be done for us - we have to
do some flag-waving ourselves.  That's what the punkers and new wavers
did back in the late 80s in dc- we rented storefronts and begged clubs
to let us play on Mondays -- we plastered the town with flyers and
started fanzines. Who else was going to write for the fanzines but the
musicians? People read DCenes in the record stores, saw our flyers on
lightposts around Dupont Circle and Georgetown, then started hearing our
records on WGTB (bless you may you rest in peace) and on WHFS (which has
now turned into a slop-90s haha
"alternative"-those-kids-don't-know-the-meaning-of-alternative station)
and it became a very very big scene. My little band Tru Fax & the
Insaniacs sold out the cavernous (as in Luray Caverns it was so big) Wax
Museum and 9:30 Club many times -- and so did our compatriots like the
Slickee Boys and Insect Surfers and Tiny Desk Unit and Urban Verbs and
many many bands. Oops, I'm getting loud.
Anyway, the idea is to grow a "scene" the way we grew up those many
years ago. And if i have to put on my own barn dances and publish my own
little fanzine or ezine or whatever to help it grow, I'll do it.

A slight aside: I think that fanzine and ezine writing is a lot
different than writing for, say, The Washington Post. Eric Brace writes
a "Circuits" column every week for the Post's Weekend Section. It's
about the clubs and bands and shows in town. He's also in the very very
good Last Train Home band, but he is not allowed to write about any
shows or cds that band is involved in. I asked him to be on the
Greetings cd, but he said that he couldn't, because he was going to
write about the cd release party. He straddles a very wide road, but he
does it very very well. But I wish he were on the cd and I wish he'd
play my danged barn dance!