http://www.sonicnet.com/news/article1.jhtml?index=5

Wilco Debut New LP Live Amid Wash Of Technical Difficulties In-store appearance shows
band delivering onstage renditions of tracks from Summer Teeth.

Staff Writer Chris Nelson reports:

CHICAGO -- Sometimes no amount of preparation can spare you from live performance
gremlins.

Case in point: Wilco's appearance at Tower Records on Clark Street Thursday. There was
tension in the air. It was the band's first show since it released its well-received
third album, Summer Teeth, earlier in the week.

In their de facto hometown. For broadcast over WXRT-FM.

The band's guitar tech arrived four-and-a-half hours early to begin setting up. A 6:50
p.m. soundcheck on "Passenger Side" and "Hesitating Beauty" revealed the band and its
equipment in perfect form.

Naturally, all that flew out the window at 8 p.m. when the band started blasting live
out of home radios and car stereos throughout the nation's third largest city.

A growing buzz, like the sound of bees swarming closer and closer, ran through the
P.A. for the length of the 45-minute show. At times the silence between songs was
sliced open by squeals of wince-inducing feedback. Some numbers were laced with
unintentional whirs and whines.

"I'm afraid I don't know what any of those weird sounds are," singer and guitarist
Jeff Tweedy said at one point to the audience listening at home. "But if you like to
see things blow up, come on down."

The often self-deprecating Tweedy actually made it sound worse than it was. "This is
an unmitigated disaster," he deadpanned later, before eventually cracking, "We'll do a
few more songs here before we end up breaking up onstage."

But despite the technical setbacks, Wilco proved they could render the dark,
studio-oriented pop of Summer Teeth compellingly in a live setting. And on such
adrenalized songs as "I Got You" from Being There and "California Stars" from last
year's Mermaid Avenue collaboration with folk-rocker Billy Bragg, the triple-vocal
attack of Tweedy, Jay Bennett (keyboards, guitar) and John Stirratt (bass) sent both
the crowd and Tower's "Blank Tapes Specials" display rocking back and forth.

Of course it was the Summer Teeth material that most came to hear. The album marks
Wilco's definitive break with the alternative country movement (and with Tweedy's
former group Uncle Tupelo), showcasing the band as innovative pop experimentalists.
And while Tweedy has performed such songs as "She's A Jar" and "I'm Always in Love"
(RealAudio excerpt) during recent solo acoustic shows, the Tower gig marked the first
time many fans had heard the songs with the full band.

"I don't think the album's as much of a departure as people think," said Elizabeth
Stockton, 24, of Chicago. "I think it's like Being There with a much more focused
feel. And that's what you want out of a great album, a really coherent feel."

On Thursday, the small confines and live instrumentation cast some of the new material
in a different light.

"I'm Always In Love" was still a Velvet Underground-inspired rave-up, complete with
the addition of Leroy Bach (who has worked with Liz Phair) on extra keyboards. But the
album centerpiece, "Via Chicago" (RealAudio excerpt), took on a much more stable feel
in the hands of the full band. In the past, when Tweedy stood solo and sang such
disturbing lines as "I dreamed about killing you again last night/ and it felt alright
to me," he bore sole responsibility for the song and its unsettling lyrics.

In Tower, with Bennett and Stirratt standing at arms' length from Tweedy on the
makeshift stage, the song was a group creation, and, as such, was less disconcerting.
Still, Tweedy's closing harmonica work added a welcome edge, undercutting the warmth
of the organ with skeletal notes that evoked the feel of a Neil Young guitar solo.

"It's a far cry from where they were, but it's still Jeff Tweedy's songwriting," said
Alex Millar, 26, of Chicago, before the show started. "I think ['Shot in the Arm'] is
the finest song he's written since the Tupelo days."

After the show, a video crew came in to shoot footage of the band signing autographs.

"I don't know what we're going to do with it," Tweedy said of the video. "We're trying
to film a lot [of the upcoming tour]."

Meanwhile, Millar handed him a copy of the alternative country book "No Depression."
Tweedy scrawled his name in black marker across the chapter on Wilco and then turned
immediately apologetic, as he'd been throughout the show.

"I signed across the words. I'm sorry, that was stupid," he said.

But just like the audience during a feedback-tinged performance, Millar seemed not to
mind at all.